Defensive forts from World War II built in the commune of Węgierska Górka in 1939 year. Combat shelters: "WANDERER", "WALIGÓRA", "GORGE", "TRAMP" and "WYRWIDAB" , are examples of Polish fortress structures. Węgierska Górka became famous for its heroic defense during the September campaign 1939 r.
Fort "WANDERER" it is a national monument , in which it is formed in the year 1993 Museum.
The museum is open during the summer holidays, you can visit them and learn about the history of heroic defense.
Fort "WALIGÓRA" it is located near the red trail to Barania Góra and is easy to reach.
You can see bullet marks here, located on the walls of the fort. The very shape of this fortification makes a huge impression.
Fort “WĄWÓZ”, which was captured by the German army. Still in September 1939 "WĄWÓZ" was blown up by German sappers. Despite the damage already done by time and the war, a large part of this building has survived.
The fort is located approx 1 km from the "WĘDROWIEC" fort in the direction of Żabnica.
Fort "WłóCZĘGA" built on the eastern slopes of Mount Glinne, about 100 meters south of "WALIGÓRA"
Fort"WYRWIDAB" built on the same hill as "WĄWÓZ", several dozen meters from it in the highest part of the hill. Until the outbreak of the war, the facility was not completed, during defensive fights it could only be used as a passive shelter.
The "Imperial Route" educational path – a route marked out along the road commonly known as Cesarka, built in the 12th century
century as a communication route connecting Kraków with Vienna. During the tour, which is approx 2 km are placed 9 thematic boards, point
scenic, as well as places to rest. The time it takes to cross is approx 2,5 h.
Church of Saint Catherine in Cięcina - built in its oldest part of the year 1542, one of the most valuable monuments not only of Cięcina, but also the Żywiec region. In the interior of the church you can admire the sumptuous, baroque altars from the 17th century, St.. Francis from 1895
and a stone baptismal font from 1705. The church is located on the wooden architecture route of the Silesian Voivodeship.
The name of the hall probably comes from the surname of the owner, in the vicinity there is the surname Borak. There is a small housing estate in the hall
administratively belonging to Żabnica. A shepherd's hall located in Beskid Żywiecki in the Lipowski Wierch and Romanki Group, on a high pass
about 860 m, between the peak of Prusów (1010 m) and the vertex 998 m to the north – the western ridge of Radical Wierch.
A detailed route to Hala Boraczą can be found in our Walking Tours.
Church of. M. B. Częstochowska in Żabnica – the construction of the wooden church began in 1910. Wood for construction
The church was provided by the inhabitants of Żabnica and the Archduke of Żywiec, Karol Stefan Habsburg
Church of St. Maksymilian Kolbe in Cisiec –was created in unusual circumstances.
In November 1972 Inhabitants of Cisiec, despite the explicit prohibition of the authorities, in one day they built a church on previously prepared foundations.
The Milówka commune is located 7 km from Węgierska Górka
• Forest Castle in Milówka - Botanic Garden, which delights with the richness of oriental vegetation. You can find traces of the Mayan culture in it, Aztecs and Incas. Everything that is here is made of wood and stones, and the main "equipment" of this place is vegetation, mostly of Asian origin, animals are a substitute for a zoo and approx 1,5 million flowers - a veritable botanical garden. Numerous ponds with fish floating in the water, frogs and turtles. Places for relaxation and reflection with swings and other attractions.
Walking along the winding paths of the garden, it is impossible to miss the statue of Świętowit, which was entered in the Guinness Book of Records.
• "Old Cottage" in Milówka - located at Piastowska Street 1, is undoubtedly one of the oldest examples of folk architecture. The date of the cottage construction - year is engraved in the chamber 1739.
Local legend says, that King Jan Kazimierz had already stayed there for the night while escaping from the Swedes. However, no source information confirms this fact. Jan III Sobieski was also supposed to spend the night here during the Viennese expedition. This place is perfect for introducing young people and more, old customs, legends and lifestyle.
• The Jewish cemetery in Milówka - the Jewish cemetery was established at the end of the 19th century, the oldest preserved matzevot dates from 1892. Most of the matzevot were destroyed during the occupation, it was only in the nineties that renovation works began.
• Church of the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary in Milówka – in 1834, the construction of a brick church began, which serves parishioners until now. The founders of the church were the local county. Over time, the church was enriched with altars, decorative polychrome and stained glass windows
ŻYWIEC – mtown away from Węgierska Górka o 13 km
Żywiec is mentioned as early as 1308, called the capital of the Beskidy Mountains, it lies in a picturesque valley covering the area above 100 km ² at the confluence of the Soła and Koszarawa rivers, on the Żywieckie Lake. It is surrounded on all sides by magnificent mountain peaks. In this charming city, in addition to walking along the winding streets, the Old Castle deserves attention, which houses the City Museum. The New Castle and the English-style park are also worth noting, The Habsburg Palace and the Chinese House.
Żywiec Brewery Museum –
is the largest and most modern facility of this type
in Poland. The brewery was founded in 1856 by the Archduke
Habsburg. Visitors to the museum actively learn about the history of the Żywiec brewery
and its modernity.
Mount Żar ( 761 m n.p.m.)
One of the largest pumped storage power plants in the world, on which there is an artificial water reservoir, able to contain 2,5
million m³ of water, to which it pumps water from the lake located 440 m below. The water falls into the interior of Góra Żar and drives the turbines of the power plant.
An additional attraction on Góra Żar is the Rope Park, the so-called. Małpi Gaj and a toboggan run. There is also a ski runlength 1600 m.
BIELSKO-BIALAok. 35 km from Węgierska Górka
ChairPodbeskidzie "little Vienna" with numerous monuments and attractionstouristic. The heart of the Old Town Square is worth visitingmedieval Bielsko, which surround baroque-classical tenement houses from the 17th-18th centuries. The tenement houses were rebuilt in the 19th centuryafter several fires. The Town Hall is also noteworthy, Polish Theater, building of the Polish Post Office. It is also worth taking the cable carto Szyndzielnia, to admire the panorama of Bielsko-Biała.
WADOWICEabout 50 km from Hungary hills
Miasto in the province Lesser Poland, located in the Silesian Foothills on the river Skawa. The birthplace of John Paul II is often visited by Polish and foreign tourists and pilgrims. Worth there are comments: family home of John Paul II, City Museum (one of the oldest buildings in the city), Minor Basilica of the Presentation of the Lord, Museum Zegadłowicz, Monastery of the Discalced Carmelite Fathers and the Sanctuary st. Józef "Na Górce" from 1899, Karol Hagenhuber's confectionery